Time in Tallinn

This blog was created to document my adventures in Tallinn, Estonia... SUMMER 2005. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Philipians 3:12

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Tallin in One Day

Outside Abbey
Outside Abbey,
originally uploaded by emilyJean.
Yesterday, we packed as much sight seeing in as possible. It always seems that the more time you have to accomplish something the less you get done. For example, I've been in Tallinn for almost 6 weeks now and until yesterday had only seen one main tourist attraction (old town).

Peter the Great built a small palace for Catherine _______ (I can't remember all of the specifics right now). Currently, the palace is an art museum housing Finnish, Dutch, Estonian, Russian, and German Baroque paintings and sculptures.

After that we walked down to the bay to see a monument. A ferryboat sank in the bay and about 150 people lost their lives. The monument commemorates the lost lives. The monument is just of a main road that runs all along the beach. We followed that road to the Soviet monument, which (as you can imagine) was built to demonstrate Soviet power. I'll admit it was kind of creepy. I've loaded some of the pictures onto flickr, so you can check them out if you want to. All I have to say is...Big Brother is watching you (I was having flash-backs to the novel "1984").

Fortunately, we ended our tour on a much happier note. There is an old abbey further down the road. The building is no longer in use because it has no roof...hence the picture. It's a very peaceful quite place; a great thinking place.

Today we ran errands and had our last volleyball/devo. We had each of the teens write themselves a letter about what they've learned this summer and what they'd like to accomplish this year. We're taking the letters back with us so we can mail them back to Estonia in about 6 months. This was an activity that Butch Whitaker did for me and Meg's class one year. If you've never received a letter from yourself in the mail, then go ahead and write one...send it to me (2320 Palmer Dr., Denton, 76209) and I'll make sure you get it in 6 months. Then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Tomorrow is our last full day. Last minute shopping. Laundry. Toenail painting. Packing. Pirate party. Kringle (my new favorite Russian pastry)... In that order.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Emily Jean,
    My name is Dwight Martin, Tandy's friend. Just wanted to thank you for sharing your pictures and stories of what's going on! Tandy tells great stories, so it is neat to put names with faces! I pray for you all often and know that God is doing great works thru you! Hope your farwells are quick and sweet, and your travels are safe and in someway draw you closer to our Great Father in Heaven! Grace and peace in our Awesome Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,
    D

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. Emily, Tandy - Great stuff. Be careful and safe while youse guys trot about Europe. Denton is beckoning you all ....... "Come home, come home...."

    We love you with the love of the Lord. Who-yah!

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you feel like Maria while you were in the abby? Please tell me you sang, 'How do you solve a problem like Maria'. "She can throw a whirrling dervish out of whirrl!" What great memories your making. I'm so excited that you are having a chance to do all this, what a blessing.

    ILYGYMC! Meg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home