Time in Tallinn

This blog was created to document my adventures in Tallinn, Estonia... SUMMER 2005. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Philipians 3:12

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Tere! ("hi" in Estonian...be sure to roll the R)

I really wanted to add post a breath-taking picture or 2 from our little trip to Saaremaa, but I haven't found the time to download them, so you'll just have to use your imagination this time.

Oddly enough, I continue to have chance meetings with Jonuk, one of the guys that Esteban has been studying with. I saw him on the bus one day, and he was on the fairy yesterday. He was going to the island for a wedding; a friend of his was actually getting married in the castle that we were going to. We also saw him later that day in town at the grocery store. I just keep thinking that God has a hand in all of this. Why else would we keep running into the guy?

We had a good time on our trip. It rained most of the day, but the town is very small and we didn't have far to walk. I've learned to carry an umbrella everywhere I go because the weather forecast is simply NOT to be trusted. We milled around the castle for a while and then wondered into the "dormitory" which had some stellar acoustics. We stayed there for about an hour and sang devo songs. It was really amusing to watch people walk in the door, our singing caught people off guard. Some would stay in the room to listen and clap when we finished. I think some people even took pictures of us. It took me back to my good ol chorus days. As soon as we'd arrive at a concert location, Uncle Phil would be walking around the room clapping randomly in an effort to test the room’s acoustics. He would have had a hay-day in this place. The room would just ring for several seconds after we quit singing. It's times like this that I ponder being a nun, like on sound of music. Thankfully, Churches of Christ don't have an order of nuns. ha ha

I have reached the point where I miss everyone back home quite a bit. Talking to Dad on the phone the other day didn't help (thanks a lot dad!!). I do funny things to help me feel like people from home are around, for example: I sing alto at church (mom), laugh loudly at inappropriate/random times (jake), eat lots of veggies (celeste), critique everyone’s hair-do's and window shop for shoes (jenny), say I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream (merce), drink lots of coffee and watch sports with the guys (dad)...and the list goes on and on.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was with Bonnie and Natalie today and Bon and I both said we were ready for you to come home! We went to the Southlake town center and ate at Pei Wei, it reminded me of your stinky toot in Destin's car. ha ha. can't wait to see you!
    Jen

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Hey, thanks for posting that on the world wide web! I WANT PEI WEI!!! Tandy, Kera, and I decided to have a cereal pig-out-fest last night. I think I ate about 4 bowls of the stuff. I probably won't be hungry for anything all day!! But we sure had a lot of fun. I can't wait to see you guys either... tell Nat I said HI!

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally made it in the list with the family! Oh my gosh. I feel like I just won the Showcase Showdown on the Price is Right! You are way too cute Em. I love the mental picture of you imitating Uncle Phil with the clapping and all...greatness. Rock on with the cereal girlies. Do they have Soy Pluff Milk in Estonia?
    Celeste the weggietarian

     

Post a Comment

<< Home